The Freedom of Information Act
The Freedom of Information Act establishes three new statutory rights:
- A legal right for each person to access information held by public bodies:
- A legal right for each person to have official information relating to him/herself amended where it is incomplete, incorrect or misleading.
- A legal right to obtain reasons for decisions affecting oneself.
This Act asserts the right of members of the public to obtain access to official information to the greatest extent possible consistent with the public interest and the right to privacy of individuals.
Further Publications Kilkenny - Freedom of Information Acts, 1997-2003
Section 15 Reference Book A Guide to the functions and Records of Kilkenny County Council Section
Section 15 Reference Book (338 KB PDF Format)
16 Reference Book
Section 16 Reference Manual (715 KBPDF Format)
Note:- This Section 16 Reference Book should be read in conjunction with the Section 15 Reference Book prepared under the Freedom of Information Act.
- This Reference Book is updated in relation to DOEHLG Circulars etc. received by the Council.
- A list of monthly DOEHLG Circulars is available from the Councils FOI Officer upon request. Details of these Circulars can be viewed on the DOEHLG website www.environ.ie
- Copies of the Acts/Regulations listed are available for purchase from the Government Publications Sales Office.
- A similar S/16 reference book has been prepared in respect of Kilkenny Borough Council and is available for inspection at City Hall, Kilkenny (Tel. 056 -7794000) Any queries in relation to the Freedom of Information Acts may be referred to the Freedom of Information Officer at County Hall, Kilkenny (056-7794115).
To view these documents you would need to have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Acrobat Reader is a free programme.