You have an old car. It is clapped out and you want to get rid of it. So what do you do?
Where the registered owner of a vehicle intends to discard their vehicle as waste, he or she is required to deposit it at an authorised treatment facility (ATF) for appropriate treatment and recovery. The vehicle can be deposited at the ATF free of charge.
The owner will then be issued with a Certificate of Destruction confirming that the vehicle is being depolluted and dismantled in an environmentally safe manner. The facility will then notify the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government in Shannon, Co. Clare and the destruction of the vehicle will be noted in the records of the National Vehicle File.
You can only deal with a properly permitted ATF when disposing of your old vehicle as these are the only facilities that can issue Certificates of Destruction.
At present there are eight Authorised Treatment Facility in County Kilkenny, as follows:
- Colman Ryan,Clara Cars, Clara Tel: 056 7726289
- Joe Hollywood, Tubrid, Freshford Tel: 087 2519171
- Ger Mulhall, Newtown, Bonnettstown Tel: 056 7762508/087 2593006
- Philip Mc Bride, Kilkeasy, Hugginstown Tel: 056 7768684/087 6620500
- Michael Madden, Newtown, Bonnettstown Tel: 087 2565548
- Coogan Autos Ltd, Castlecomer Tel: 056 4441433
- Merriville Ltd, Phoenix Business Park, Kilkenny City Tel: 056 7722830
- Paschal Power, Busherstown, Glenmore Tel: 086 2579461