Avoid a Chimney Fire

Chimney fires occur when deposits of soot which have accumulated in a chimney are set alight by flames or sparks from an open fire. Most solid fuels produce some soot which will build up without regular cleaning.

We recommend that chimneys are cleaned at least twice a year, once at the beginning of the cold weather period and again in the new year. Do not rely on chemical cleaners, there is no substitute for a sweep's brush.

A chimney fire can cause damage to the flue and cracks through which sparks can travel and cause a fire elsewhere in the house.

If you have a chimney fire

  • Place a spark guard in front of the fire to stop hot soot from falling out.
  • Gently pour water over the fire to extinguish it and keep a supply of water nearby.
  • Call the fire brigade.
  • After a chimney fire have the chimney checked by a builder and carry out any necessary repairs

Other tips for open fires:

  • Always use a spark guard when a fire is left unattended.
  • Use a properly secured fire guard when children are in the room.
  • Do not place a mirror over a fireplace.

Related Links:


Emergency Outside Office Hours

If you require the service of the Local Authority for an emergency outside of normal business hours please note the following:

Persons requiring the Fire Service for an emergency should Dial 112 and no other number

For all water related queries 1850 278 278 (Irish Water)

For any other emergency the public are advised to ring 1890 252654

Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny R95 A39T
Tel: +353 (0) 56 7794000 | Fax: +353 (0) 56 7794004
Email:
info@kilkennycoco.ie | Emergency outside office hours: 1890 252 654
Water Queries : 1850 278 278 ( Irish Water )
Privacy | Disclaimer