Refunds of Motor tax
Information on how to obtain a refund of Motor Tax
REFUNDS Of Motor Tax - application form RF120
Refunds of Motor Tax are payable only in the following circumstances:
- The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State, or
- The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner, or
- A vehicle in respect of which a tax disc has been taken out has not been used in a public place at any time since the issue of the disc, or
- The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the State for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle, or
- The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.
- The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of his illness, injury or other physical disability to use the vehicle.
- Vehicle Duty Error
Please note that an application for a refund does not guarantee that a refund will be paid. All refund applications are assessed on their own individual circumstances.
Applications for refunds should be made on Form RF120 - download refund FR120 application form and the tax disc surrendered to the Motor Taxation Office as soon as possible after the removal of the vehicle from use.
Applications for refund for scrapped vehicles (see End of Life Vehicles) must be accompanied by a Certificate of Destruction issued from an Authorised Treatment Facility.
See full list of Authorized Treatment Facilities
|COLMAN RYAN||CLARA CARS, CLARA||056 7726289|
|JOE HOLLYWOOD||TUBRID,FRESHFORD||087 2519171|
|GER MULHALL||NEWTOWN, BONNETTSTOWN||056 7762508||087 2593006|
|PHILIP MCBRIDE||KILKEASY,HUGGINSTOWN||056 7768684||087 6620500|
|MICHAEL MADDEN||NEWTOWN, BONNETTSTOWN||087 2565548|
|COOGAN AUTOS LTD.||BARRACK STREET,CASTLECOMER, COUNTY KILKENNY||056 4441433|
|MERRIVILLE LTD.||PHOENIX BUSINESS PARK, KILKENNY||056 7722830|
|PASCHAL POWER||BUSHERSTOWN, GLENMORE||086 2579461|
In the case of No. 1 above, the refund is generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calendar months must be left on the disc when surrendered.