Taxing Your Vehicle

Information on taxing your vehicle, commercial/goods taxing for the first time in your name

Taxing Your Vehicle

  1. Private Cars/Motorcycles/Tractors
  2. Commercial Vehicles/Articulated Vehicles
  3. Buses/Public Service Vehicles
  4. Youth/Community Buses

Private Cars/Motorcycles/Tractors

1.(a) For First Taxing of a New or imported privately taxed vehicle you need:

  • Completed Application Form RF100 (this form should be given to you by your car dealer if purchased new or by your NCT Centre if imported or used)
  • Appropriate Fee
  • Insurance details
  • Agricultural Declaration to be submitted for the first time taxing of an Agricultural Tractor. 
  • Download Agricultural Declaration Form

1.(b) For First Taxing of a second hand vehicle following change of ownership:

  • Completed Application Form RF100A/RF100B
  • Appropriate Fee
  • Insurance details
  • Agricultural Tractor Declaration for taxing an Agricultural Tractor for the first time in your name
  • Note:  New owner is liable from the start of the month in which the vehicle was purchased

2. To renew Motor Tax

3. To renew tax with a break in the tax period:

4. To renew tax where the vehicle particulars have changed: e.g: tax class, engine size etc

  • Completed Change Of Particulars Form RF111
  • Download Change of Particulars Application Form
  • Registration Book/Vehicle Registration Certificate (RF101)
  • Appropriate Fee
  • Insurance Details
  • Contact will be made with the Main Dealer to validate the foregoing on receipt of the documentation

Commercial/Goods Vehicles -

First Time Taxing of Commercial/Goods Vehicles -

Vehicles Not Greater Than 3500KG

Owners of Goods Vehicles registered in their names with design gross vehicle weight of 3500kg or less can obtain a goods rate of motor tax when they have a business or trade registered with the Revenue Commissioners or when an employee is using the vehicle solely in the course of their employer's business.

Documents Required:

  • RF100 required for new or imported vehicle.  Alternatively RF100A/B  
  • Download RF100 here
  • Weight Docket. (For new or imported vehicles or if a change to the weight is being made to the vehicle)
  • Commercial Insurance Certificate showing Insured for Business under limitations of use.
  • RF111A Goods Only Declaration signed and stamped at the Garda Station 
  • Download Goods Only Declaration Form Here
  • Proof of Business Registration - See Notes Below:

RF111A Notes

To avail of the goods rate a signed and stamped Goods Only Declaration (Form RF111A) with supporting evidence of registration of business/trade with the Revenue Commissioners must be submitted when taxing the vehicle for the first time (new or imported), or following change of ownership, or change of tax class.

Any one of the following documents will be accepted as proof of business registration with Revenue (document must be dated within the last 12 months).


  • Evidence that registered owner of the vehicle is registered for VAT/Tax e.g. letter from Revenue, letter from business/trader's Auditors/Accountants which states VAT/tax registration number.
  • Tax Clearance Certificate in name of registered owner of vehicle from Revenue, or print-out from R.O.S (Revenue) showing tax registration number/VAT number for registered owner.
  • Copy of "Notice of Tax Registration Form" in name of registered owner (issued to sole traders/businesses when setting up new business).
  • Letter from Revenue seeking submission of current annual accounts. (Issued to business/sole traders annually).

Limited Companies: Submission of Certificate of Incorporation is required for goods taxing where a vehicle is to be registered in the name of a limited company at the time of taxing by the Motor Tax Office. The CRO website will be used to verify whether a company is currently registered or not.  Please note that an individual cannot trade as a limited company and will be treated as two separate entities.

Sole Traders: (single owner) and those with the designation of trading as or t/a must apply to Revenue when establishing their business and will receive a "Notice of Tax Registration" as a once off process. Thereafter, Revenue issue annual requests for accounts in respect of the business. The most recent of these documents issued (must be dated within the past 12 months) in the name of the registered owner of the vehicle can be accepted as proof of registration with Revenue.

New Businesses/Trade: Vehicle owners who indicate that they have just started a new business must tax the vehicle at the private rate initially until they can produce the Notice of Tax Registration from Revenue for their business or trade.


  • Page 2 of RF111A completed by the employer and stamped with the company stamp with VAT number printed on it.
  • In lieu of company stamp the employer can provide proof of tax registration from Revenue dated within the last 12 months or
  • Letter from the employer on official headed paper showing VAT number, nothing the employees PPS number and stating that the vehicle registration number is being used solely in the course of the business.

Farming family members Can also produce a headed letter from their accountant stating that they are an employee of the farm, quoting their PPS number, farm tax registration number and state that the vehicle registration number is being used solely in the course or the business.

Sub-contractors of companies and businesses must be registered themselves as a business/trade with Revenue in order to avail of the goods rate of tax.

Further details maybe required at the discretion of Kilkenny Motor Tax Office. 

Buses/Public Service Vehicles

For first taxation of a new or imported bus or public service vehicle you need:

  • Completed application form RF100 (available from Garage, or if imported from NCTS)
  • PSV Licence, School Bus Licence (Article 60), Taxi, Hackney or Limousine PSV Licence
  • Appropriate fee
  • Insurance Certificate showing PSV as a limitation of use
  • Current CRW for imported vehicles over 1 year old
  • NCT Certificate and disc if over 3 months old or has more than 3000KM's on the clock

To renew motor tax you need:

  • Completed application form RF100A
  • Download Motor Tax Renewal Application Form or RF100B
  • PSV License, School Bus License (Article 60), Taxi, Hackney or Limousine License
  • Appropriate Fee
  • Current Certificate of Roadworthiness / NCT Cert
  • Insurance Certificate showing PSV as limitations of use

Taxi/Bus Licensing - see National Transport Authority

Youth/Community Buses

Youth/Community Buses are vehicles owned and operated by Charitable or Non-Profit Organisations or Youth/Community Groups which attracts a reduced rate of tax. The vehicle must have a minimum number of 9 passenger seats.

When a Youth/Community bus is being taxed, the tax application must be accompanied by a letter from the organization, on Headed paper and signed by the Chairperson/Director of the organization, stating the details of the use of the vehicle.

To renew motor tax you need:

-Completed application form RF100A

-Download Motor Tax Renewal Application Form) or RF100B
-Appropriate Fee
-Current Certificate of Roadworthiness
-Insurance Certificate showing limitations of use as a youth/community bus
-Letter from the organization as stated above

Kilkenny Promotion Logo
Kilkenny slogan: Come See Come Do