End of Life Vehicles
Information regarding Authorised Facilities for disposal of End of Life Vehicles within County Kilkenny.
If you wish to scrap your vehicle you are required by law to deposit your car with a vehicle recycling facility Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) for recycling. A vehicle recycling facility is obliged to take back your car free of charge. There may be a small charge to collect your vehicle.
The vehicle recycling facility is obliged in accordance with The European Union (End-Of-Life Vehicles) Regulations 2014 to issue you with a Certificate of Destruction, confirming the car will be recycled and recovered, ending your responsibility for the vehicle.
Please note if you deposit your car to anywhere else other than ATF, you are liable to a fixed payment notice from the Local Authority.
List of Authorised Treatment Facilities in Kilkenny as of January 2022 are:
Name of Facility
Waste Facility Permit No.
Colman Ryan, Clara Cars,
Clara, Co. Kilkenny
056 – 7726289
Tubrid Lower, Clomanatagh, Freshford, Co. Kilkenny
056 – 8835200
Kilkeasy, Hugginstown, Co. Kilkenny
056 – 7768684
056 – 7722669
Coogan Autos Ltd.
056 – 4441433
Molloy Metals Recycling Ltd.
Kilkenny Truck Centre, Phoenix Business Park, Freshford Road, Co. Kilkenny
056 - 7722830
056 - 7722830
Authorised Treatment Facility Obligations for End of Life Vehicles
Obligations are also imposed on all Authorised Treatment Facilities to;
- Ensure that such facilities operate under a waste license, or as appropriate, a waste permit and
- Meet the minimum technical requirements for the storage (including temporary storage) of end-of-life vehicles prior to their being the subject of appropriate treatment and recovery,
- Appropriate treatment and recovery of end-of-life vehicles,
- Storage of components containing fluids, recoverable components and spare parts.
- Keep records of the aggregate weight of materials for reuse, recycling, recovery and disposal arising from end-of-life vehicles and report to local authorities on an annual basis.
- From the 1st January 2007 and onwards, on the deposit of an end-of-life vehicle at an authorised treatment facility for appropriate treatment and recovery, the owner or operator of that facility shall:
Issue a Certificate of Destruction to the registered owner, an authorised person of a local authority or a member of An Garda Síochána and all relevant information relating to that certificate of destruction shall be noted on the National Vehicle File. No charge may be imposed by the authorised treatment facility on the registered owner of the end-of-life vehicle in respect of the Certificate of Destruction.