Housing Department Self Help Scheme
To help local authority tenants carry out improvement works to their homes. Eligible tenants must have their rent up to date, and proposed works must be approved by the Council's Engineer.
Housing Department Self Help Scheme 2022
The objective of this scheme is to assist Local Authority tenants to carry out improvement works to their home which are deemed to be tenant responsibility.
Who Qualifies for the Scheme?
Kilkenny County Council tenants who have their rent paid up to date and where the proposed works are considered desirable by the Council’s Engineer.
Works Covered under the Scheme?
- Repairs/Replacement of Windows/Doors
- Repairs/Replacement and cleaning of Gutters/Downpipes
- External painting of house
- Repairs/Replacement of front and back Gates
- Provision of a shed
- Skip Hire
- Garden Maintenance
- Repairs/Replacement Doors/Presses
- Repairs/Replacement sink/Kitchen Presses
- Provision of Attic Insulation, Attic Tanks, Pipe lagging and Cylinder Jacket
- Ventilation and associated works
- Provision of Cavity Wall Insulation
- Provision of Dry Lying
- Internal painting of house
General Conditions of the Scheme
- Applicants must have an up to date rent account.
- Only works carried out after the grant is offered will be eligible for payment.
- Tenants are limited to one grant per year.
- Funding for this grant scheme is limited so it may not be possible to offer grants to all applicants.
- Applications must be received on the official application form within the defined deadline.
Who organises the Works to be done?
- Tenants are responsible for the appointments of contractors and must ensure all appropriate documentation are in order.
- Two quotations must be included with your application from two registered contractors.
- Invoices presented must be for the total works and must be VAT inclusive.
- When the grant is awarded, only then should you arrange to have the works done. Then the invoices are sent to Kilkenny County Council. An inspection will take place by a member of Housing Technical Staff. Then payment will be made to you for 50% of the works.
It is the responsibility of the tenant to arrange payment to the contractor.
Amount of Grant payable
- Kilkenny County Council will pay 50% of the cost of the works up to a maximum contribution of €1,250.
- The minimum estimated cost of the proposed works must be not less than €250.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 31st March 2023
Download Self-Help-Scheme-Policy..docx (size 111.7 KB)
Download Application form for Housing Department Self Help Scheme (size 52.8 KB)