Christmas Candle Care

Christmas time can bring with it increased risk of fire tragedy. In order to have a fire safe Christmas please remember the following advice:

  • Have your chimney cleaned before the holiday season.
  • Check Christmas lights for damage, replace bulbs only with the correct type and don't overload sockets.
  • Use a non-shedding Christmas tree, stand it in damp sand and ensure that it will not tip over. Keep Christmas trees away from open fires or heaters.
  • Use a fire guard at all times, do not throw wrapping paper on the fire and do not hang cards or decorations over the fireplace.
  • Never leave lighted candles unattended and never place them close to curtains or to combustible decorations.
  • Toys which are powered from the mains should be fitted with a safety plug by a competent adult.
  • Unplug Christmas tree lights when you are leaving the house.
  • And remember - last thing at night:
    • Unplug lights and other electrical equipment
    • Put a spark guard in front of the fire
    • Check for any smouldering cigarette ends in furniture
    • Close all room doors
    • Check your smoke alarm NOW.

A smoke alarm is always a welcome gift.

Remember, the risk of fire outbreak is greater at Christmas than at any other time of the year.


Related Links:


Emergency Outside Office Hours

If you require the service of the Local Authority for an emergency outside of normal business hours please note the following:

Persons requiring the Fire Service for an emergency should Dial 112 and no other number

For all water related queries 1850 278 278 (Irish Water)

For any other emergency the public are advised to ring 1890 252654

Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny R95 A39T
Tel: +353 (0) 56 7794000 | Fax: +353 (0) 56 7794004
Email:
info@kilkennycoco.ie | Emergency outside office hours: 1890 252 654
Water Queries : 1850 278 278 ( Irish Water )
Privacy | Disclaimer